Pranay, Week 16: My Memories From Covid-19

It is often in the most stressful situations that I find my mind away. I go from thinking about my upcoming AP tests and the loads of studying I have left to do to the most insignificant details of my life. Only, they are not. It is in these times I have the greatest revelations and I do not know why. Tonight, this is exactly what happened.


image from the World Health Organization
Throughout my life, I have been surrounded by a wide variety of people, and it is something I am eternally grateful for. As an Indian American in the Bay Area, I’ve been able to experience the diversity America has to offer while not feeling like the diversity myself. Still, I genuinely feel I have been unable to establish a true connection with any one of them. I didn't really notice this issue until the emergence of COVID-19. One day, I was at school with my friends, eating lunch and discussing the latest basketball game and the next, I was locked in my own home. At first, I didn’t mind it. My whole life, I’ve enjoyed solitude and the quiet that comes with it. But soon, I realized it had gotten too quiet. My phone buzzed less and less and the silence became deafening. Sure, I had my parents and little sister as company but at the developing and rash age of thirteen, I felt confused and frustrated trying to voice my concerns to them.


This period of time drastically changed my perception on friendship. I came to think that friendships did not need to be constant, that they would always be easy to pick up where we left off. Looking back at it now, I could not have been more wrong. Friendships are built and maintained through constant contact, at least for me. If I am not constantly reached out to by my friends or reaching out to my friends, I suddenly begin feeling lonely even though I’m not alone. And it is my memories from Covid-19 that help me remember this about myself and make sure I never forget it.


Comments

  1. Hi, Pranay. I cannot help but feel the same way as you. It is always in the strangest or even the most mundane of situations a Eureka! moment occurs. It is these “shower thoughts” that truly get me to think philosophically when my thoughts are going everywhere. In addition, the emotions you used in the blog and the vivid imagery like in the phrase “the silence became deafening” truly encapsulate the feelings that students during the COVID-19 lockdown. I hope that you are having the true experience of friendship that you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pranay,
    I completely relate to the start of your blog, especially with feeling stressed about upcoming tests. After taking these tests I always feel a mix of relief and regret that I could have applied myself better or studied a specific topic on the test more to feel more confident about my performance.
    While I am not Indian American, I can relate to the diversity you have experienced within the Bay Area, and the silent sounds you faced during quarantine. I lacked friends I could talk to during quarantine as well so I grew closer with my parents during the time. While it helped with the loneliness, I still missed having friends my age since I was an only child and was unable to talk to anyone.
    I agree with your view on friendship. Sometimes, I do not talk to my closest friends for more than a week but I still remain friends with them because our relationship can withstand not seeing each other for more than a few days. Communication, in my opinion, is not a necessity to maintain friendships. Thank you for writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pranay, I truly resonate with your blog on a deep level. COVID-19 was a lonely period, and a lot of us became disconnected from the world. Similarly to you, I enjoyed the solitude and quiet that came with COVID-19, I could relax at home and be in my pajamas all day. It felt great to be able to have so much alone time, however, after a while of being quarantined, I got scared. I was scared of being alone forever, and I feared that I wouldn't be able to experience high school. COVID-19 made me realize who were and weren't my real friends. Some wouldn't contact me, but the genuine ones would. COVID-19 also changed my perception of friendship, however, it is a reversed perception of yours: now I believe that friendships don't need to be consistent. I believe that friendships should depend on one thing: effort. While a friend doesn't need to consistently talk to you to be considered a friend, it is important to put effort into the friendship. By effort, I mean checking on each other every once in a while or being able to support them when they need you. Of course, every person has their preference, and that's okay! I was interested in your blog, Pranay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jiya Week 9: Influences of Wealth

Danial, Week 9: The Growth of Technological Power

Jiya Week 11: Spilling the tea, spreading the rumors.